Ha Jolly Ha

Monday, July 02, 2007

A Mystery with a Puzzle

I figure it's about time for a frivolous post. If you are mystified by the title...ha! my purpose succeeded.

Anyways, I cracked open a collection of Dorothy Sayers' mysteries this weekend and made the acquaintance of the inimitable Lord Peter Wimsey and his congenial valet Bunter. If you are entirely ignorant of his lordship, Wikipedia has a substantial entry chronicling his illustrious history. I enjoyed this quote from Sayers:

“Lord Peter's large income ... I deliberately gave him ... After all it cost me nothing and at the time I was particularly hard up and it gave me pleasure to spend his fortune for him. When I was dissatisfied with my single unfurnished room I took a luxurious flat for him in Piccadilly. When my cheap rug got a hole in it, I ordered him an Aubusson carpet. When I had no money to pay my bus fare I presented him with a Daimler double-six, upholstered in a style of sober magnificence, and when I felt dull I let him drive it. I can heartily recommend this inexpensive way of furnishing to all who are discontented with their incomes. It relieves the mind and does no harm to anybody.”

To get to the point, however, I am in the throes of the most outrageous, brain-numbing obsession, solving a crossword puzzle from “The Fascinating Problem of Uncle Meleagar’s Will.” In place of standard clues, it presents a dizzying array of riddles united by one classical(ie., ancient Rome) theme.

Brilliant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home